Another trip to Alaska!

Hello friends!

This week I ventured to Anchorage, Alaska for one last planning meeting for my big trip this summer!  We sate down with all the units participating and worked out the last details for our humanitarian mission.

It wasn't all work though..  I found a great Sushi restaurant called Sushi & Sushi, which I highly recommend if you're ever in the area.  When we drove up we had some doubts, because the outside looks like a super shady strip mall, but when you walk inside it's like bam!  Really nice.  I meant to take pictures of the food, but it was so good I totally forgot until after.  Yum!





I found some amazing wooden carvings at a local shop.  There were so many to choose from!



 I have been thinking about getting a totem pole every time I have been up here during the mission planning process.  Many of them are very expensive, and I have a hard time spending too much on curios.



But, with this possibly being my last time in Anchorage, I decided that if I was going to get one, I needed to go ahead and bite the bullet.




This hand carved whale has a new home on our travel shelves!  It ended up being a bit larger than most of the totem poles they offer, and a lower price, and made in Alaska.  You would be surprised how many they sell that are made in China.  And that kinda defeats the purpose of buying local crafts.



I also really love the quirky decorations on the street.  This blue moose caught my eye...


I also got to get a look at the Captain Cook statue this time...



I found out that I'll be spending about a month in the remote town of Bethel, Alaska this summer in support of our humanitarian mission in the area.  So it looks like I'll get to see the midnight sun this year! This trip, the sun started setting around 10:00pm!


And of course one of the best parts of staying in a swanky hotel on the Army's dime is... room service!  Ok, just kidding, the cake was on my dime, but it was delivered!  whoot whoot! 


No comments: