Southwestern Bake

This recipe was mismash of two recipes.. I was thinking about making the Mexican Rice Dish from the Nanny Goat blog... But I wanted to bake something like the Penne Pasta Bake from them too.. Soooo... I give you:  The Southwestern Bake!


Okay.. I realize that the cheese does not look that appetizing in this picture, but I will explain that whole thing in a minute...

Here's What you Need:
2 lbs Chicken Breast Tenders
1 Pack Taco Seasoning
1 Cup Southwestern Salsa
2 Cups Water
2 Cups White Rice
1 Can Black Beans with Liquid
2 Cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese



Here's What You Do:


Mix the Chicken Tenders, Taco Seasoning, Salsa and Water in a large skillet.  Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.


Add the black beans to the skillet for a minute or so.  Then, coat the bottom of a 9x13 dish with the rice. Use a large slatted spoon to put the chicken pieces into the dish, over the rice.


Then pour the liquid from the skillet all over the Chicken and Rice.


Looks pretty good so far, eh?  Now bake for 20 minutes at 375*.   Then Sprinkle the Cheddar Cheese all over the top of it, and bake for an additional 15-20 minutes or until the rice is fully cooked.


Here's where it got tricky for me.. 'cause my oven decided to break at the 20 minute mark!  Yup, shut itself down and everything.  So I had to pop it in the microwave for the last half of the baking (I put it in for 10 minutes which ended up being way to long I think).


So, it's not as pretty as I hoped it would turn out, due to the microwaving but it is SOOO good!  Hubby even went back for seconds!


Enjoy!



Has a glitch with your oven ever made you have to change your dinner plans before?

No comments: